Wall carpeting is one of the most significant home furnishings. In addition to safeguarding the flooring, area rugs provide your room with an opulent, inviting, and sophisticated appearance. Vacuuming the carpet regularly is essential for maintenance, and any spills should be immediately blotted with a white cloth.
Moreover, you may put wall carpeting in various areas, such as underneath tables, outside bathrooms, over couches, and on the sides of beds, thanks to their availability in multiple sizes. Wall carpeting and rugs require regular vacuuming to keep them clean.
Plus, the eye-catching patterns and soft-to-touch texture of rugs enhance the interior value of the place where they are installed. In addition, their durable construction ensures long-lasting fibers. For deep cleaning, here’s a tip:
Despite all these wonderful perks, carpets and rugs have drawbacks, including their ability to quickly collect dirt, soil, dust, and other grit. This can be remedied by regularly cleaning them with a machine.
Regular usage of rugs can quickly soil their fibers, dull them, and alter the appearance of the room as a whole, especially in snowy conditions.
How to Clean Carpet?
Don’t worry; with suitable materials and techniques, you can quickly get rid of dust, dirt, and soil from carpets. These fibers can hold onto dirt and mud, so it’s important to regularly clean your rug to keep it looking fresh. Whether it’s removing dust or tackling stubborn stains caused by snow, proper cleaning methods can help maintain the cleanliness and longevity of your carpets.
Now, the question is, How to Clean Carpet with Pets? Here’s a brief answer. Clean the carpet by removing snow, soil, and fibers.
Use baking soda, a mixture of carpet shampoo and warm water, or cleaning liquid with a carpet brush to remove stains, dirt, dust, snow, and soil from the carpet.
Read more : A Step-by-Step Guide to Remove a Carpet
Furthermore, in this article, we will share a detailed guide on cleaning carpets to ensure the longevity of your carpet, even if it has been exposed to soil or snow. So let’s begin.
Different Ways To Clean Carpet
Here are some simple yet efficient ways that will help you to clean your carpet without much effort and struggle. Let’s review them.
Using a vacuum, you can clean the carpet’s surface of dust, hair, grime, and debris. Different vacuum suction strengths aid in drawing soil from the carpet’s base. You can therefore lessen allergies and prevent soil accumulation by cleaning frequently.
Cleaning your carpet with baking soda is an economical way to eliminate stubborn stains, soil, and unpleasant odors. Baking soda is an inexpensive market item and a typical household product. Additionally, adding vinegar or hydrogen peroxide to baking soda can effectively tackle grease and oil stains.
Regular dish soap effectively breaks down stains, grease, and oils on your carpet. This mild cleaner is safe for the texture and construction of the carpet, unlike market-available carpet cleaners that may cause damage.
You can apply direct dish soap on the stains to break the stubbornness. However, using dish soap and warm water to clean the carpet is better. This way, dish soap residue will not remain on the carpet and attract dirt.
Distilled vinegar is one of the common household ingredients used in the carpet cleaning process. It has acidic properties help break down grime, dirt particles, and residue. That’s why using the 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water can treat bad odors, stains, stubborn dust, grease, and bacteria.
Also known as Isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol is an active carpet-cleaning ingredient. It can treat stains (ink, oil, grease), disinfect insects (germs, bacteria), and remove chewing gum or adhesive residues. Remember, the direct use of rubbing alcohol can damage the colors and textures of carpets. That’s why you must use a distilled form of rubbing alcohol.
It comes with unique properties that help to clean stains from the carpet. Club soda is not as efficient as commercial cleaners but can be used to clean initial stains like wine stains. For quick results, you can mix club soda with regular salt
Because of the disinfecting and stain-removing properties, you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean the carpet. Make a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water and spray the mixture on stains. Hydrogen peroxide can also eliminate unpleasant smells, insects, and bacteria due to its amazing antibacterial characteristics.
6 Steps on how to Clean Carpet
Learning about different carpet cleaning methods is not enough until you don’t know how to use them efficiently.
So here is a complete guide to cleaning a carpet that will help you to maintain a clean and pleasant environment in your home. Let’s take a look at the steps.
Here is a complete list of materials you might need during the carpet cleaning process.
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Cleaning Solution
- Desired Cleaning Agent (Baking Soda, Vinegar, Dish soap, Rubbing alcohol, club soda, Hydrogen peroxide)
- Spray Bottle
- Hot Water
- Scrub Brush
Prepare the Area
Before starting to clean the carpet, you first need to clear it. If you have any kind of furniture over the sofa, move it to the side carefully without causing any damage to the carpet. This way, you will access the whole carpet and clean it easily. But if you have nothing on the carpet, start vacuuming it quickly.
Vacuum the Carpet
The vacuum cleaner has different adjustments, like a powered brush head, an upholstery brush, and a crevice tool. Select the right adjustment according to your carpet type and move the vacuum cleaner in different directions to collect dirt from all directions. You can also adjust the height and suction level for deep cleaning.
Treat Stains and Spots
After clearing the dust and dirt, now is the time to remove the stains. Your carpet can have different stains, so choosing the right cleaning agents to treat them is important. Here’s how you can get rid of spots on the carpet.
To remove paint from the carpet, use the following steps
- Use a putty knife to collect paint residue from the carpet. Make sure you don’t spread the paint while collecting it.
- When dealing with carpet stains, you can use a carpet cleaner like rubbing alcohol or vinegar solution. Mix 1 part vinegar and ten parts warm water for acrylic paint stains to make distilled vinegar. Spray the mixture on the paint stain and blot with a damp towel. Repeat until the stain is gone. Alternatively, soak a rag in isopropyl alcohol and blot it on the paint stain, letting it sit for 20 minutes. Then, blot with a dry cloth and repeat to clean the carpet as needed.
- For water-based paint, use dish soap. Make a soapy solution using dish soap and warm water. Dip the rag in this solution and blot it continuously on the stain. Once the stain gets removed, blot with a dry cloth and let the carpet dry in the air
You can use baking soda or club soda to remove a red wine stain from the carpet.
- In the case of a carpet stain, blot the area with a dry rag to absorb excess moisture. Pour water on the stain according to its size and blot with a rag. Now mix three parts of baking soda in 1 part of water to create a carpet-cleaning solution. Add this mixture to the stain and let it rest until completely dry. Once the stain is removed, vacuum out any excess residue to reveal a clean carpet.
- When dealing with a carpet stain, blot it with a dry rag to remove excess moisture. Next, pour water on the stain and blot it with a rag. After that, apply the carpet cleaning solution, such as club soda, directly onto the stain. Sprinkle some salt over the area and let it sit for 20 minutes. Finally, vacuum up any remaining residue.
To remove the nail polish stain, you can use a nail polish remover and hair spray.
- Nail polish remover acts best when the nail polish is dry. Dip the rag into the polish remover, then blot it on the stain. Don’t rub the rag; just blot it continuously until the stain gets removed.
- Use a hair spray when nail polish spray gets dry. Make sure the hairspray you use has high alcohol content. Spray about 10 to 15 pumps on the stain directly, then add a pinch of salt to it and scrub it gently with a soft-bristled brush. Use cold water to wipe off the stain residue and let the carpet dry completely.
Follow the below steps to get rid of the blood.
- Soak the rag in Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Blot the rag directly into the spot.
- Put the rag in cold water, then blot again on the spot until it fades away.
Follow the below steps to remove gum from the carpet.
- To remove the gum, you only need ice.
- Rub the ice continuously on the gum until it gets hardened and comes out.
- Use a putty knife to move gum from the carpet easily.
Use the following steps to remove wax from the carpet.
- Place a damp rag on the stain.
- Run a hot iron over the stain for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Repeat the process until the wax comes out completely
1.Scrub to Disinfect
Use a cleaning solution with antimicrobial properties to scrub the carpet. Pour the cleaning solution over the carpet and gently rub it with a scrub brush to eliminate dirt, dust, insects, and product residue. Make sure to brush on all sections of carpets to deep clean it
2.Rinse the Carpet
Now pour mild hot water over the carpet to remove the cleaner. Use a sponge or cloth to remove the cleaner, stain residues, and dirt particles. Once done, remove excess moisture from the carpet. For quick results, use a dry vacuum cleaner to suck up excess water
3.Dry the Carpet
In the end, all you need is to dry your carpet. Let your carpet air dry and open the windows to allow sun rays to reach the carpet. Remember, depending on the weather conditions, your carpet can take time to dry completely. Also, don’t walk on the wet carpet as it can make it dirty again.
How Often Should You Clean Carpet?
Your carpet needs to clean regularly as dust enters the home through windows, shoes, and air. Make sure to vacuum-clean your carpet daily to avoid dust and insect buildup.
In addition to that, you need to deep clean your carpet after every 12 months. But don’t rely on this time limit according to your space requirement. You can clean your carpet after one month or anytime you want.
How To Keep Carpets Clean?
Follow below mentioned amazing tips to keep your carpet fresh and clean for a long time.
- Install Doormats: Keep a doormat in front of all your doors so that whenever someone enters the room, the dust remains on the mat, and the carpet stays clean.
- Don’t Wear Shoes Inside Home: Make a habit of walking barefoot on the carpet to protect the texture of the carpet. This way, you can also protect the carpet from getting dirty. Always put your shoes outside the carpeted area and enjoy spending time in your favorite spot.
- Limit Your Activities: Most of the dirt on the carpet is food dirt, so avoid eating on a carpeted area. Limit yourself and house members to bring food items in the carpeted area and save your carpet cleaning efforts.
Wrapping It All Up!!!
To have a healthy and elegant space, it’s necessary to keep everything clean, especially carpets. They tend to catch dirt more than other furniture and fabric items.
Indeed there are many methods to clean the carpet, but you should select the one that suits your carpet and stain requirements.
Also, read the manufacturer’s guidelines before using cleaning agents like hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and baking soda, as they can damage the carpet colors and textures. At last, follow all the steps precisely for efficient and reliable results.